Exploring A Midwest Treasure: The City Museum

city museum climb

Beach? Mountains? or Museum?

In the heart of the midwest lies a marvel of a museum.  A symphony for the senses, a repurpose miracle, a love story honoring architectural treasures.  Artist Bob Cassilly channeled his extraordinary creative genius to transform the former International Shoe Company into the surreal City Museum!   It literally bursts at its seams with wonder.

The museum extends to its rooftop, complete with a operating ferris wheel.

The museum extends to its rooftop with an operating ferris wheel.  It reaches outside through a maze of structures and tubes connecting two full-size airplanes.

If only I were a poet, perhaps then I could properly tell you the story of the City Museum.  It is an exploration of joy that one must experience.  There is something for everyone: for toddlers and grandparents and everyone in between.

Take a peak…

IMG_2098

Awe behind every corner… A wall of bread pans!

IMG_1993

Endless opportunities to tap your courage!  Why take the stairs when you can slide?

I would love to know how many slides occupy this museum.  I selected the 5 story descent option versus the 10th floor.  For the record I braked a little and had a slower than normal descent.

Shoes once descended these spirals.  Now, Mr. Cassilly repurposed them as slides.  I recommend the 5-story descent versus the 10-story experience.  Full disclosure: I was afraid!

An actual slide through an actual tree.

An actual slide through an actual tree.

IMG_2012

IMG_1730

IMG_1735

The archeticetual relic room is awe-inspiring.

The historic relics are amazing.

And whimsical.  The expression on this sculpture is priceless.

And whimsical.

We loved the aquarium. I snapped this photo about 10 a.m.  When we returned for an evening visit (the museum remains open until midnight on Saturday, little Nemo was sleeping in this bed.

We loved the aquarium. I snapped this photo about 10 a.m. Upon our return for an evening visit (the museum remains open until midnight on Saturday) the lights were dim and little Nemo was sleeping in this bed.  Cutest thing ever…

Another slide... through the shark and giant turtle tank.

Another slide… this one takes you through a shark tank.

IMG_2080

Around every corner there are surprises:  A circus performance!

The museum isn't far from this iconic structure!

The museum isn’t far from this iconic structure!

—–

A peak back to our summer visit five years ago!

st louis 4

st louis 2

st louis 3

I would love to hear about your visit!

Tagged: , , , , , ,

8 thoughts on “Exploring A Midwest Treasure: The City Museum

1. Ann Harrington January 29, 2014 at 9:09 am Reply

Love love love the City Museum and can’t wait to go back!
    fantastic fabulous photos! they really capture the essence of it!

2. Sue Grilli January 29, 2014 at 8:23 pm Reply

Thanks for your tour of the City Museum, loved it. I was just in St. Louis visiting my son and his family, wish I knew about this then but now I have something on the list for the next visit.

3. mayantran January 29, 2014 at 11:08 pm Reply

Wow. What an amazing place, definitely looks like fun for all ages! And fantastic pictures, I was intrigued by the very first picture. The next time I visit St. Louis, this will definitely be at the top of my to-do list!

4. Tiffany January 30, 2014 at 8:38 am Reply

What a great museum! We don’t have many where I live. Those photos are gorgeous, if I’m ever in the area I’m definitely going to pay the place a visit.

5. Iana Roy January 30, 2014 at 2:29 pm Reply

Looks really fun! Thank you for sharing.

6. Heather Koshiol January 30, 2014 at 4:53 pm Reply

My family visited St. Louis a few years ago, but we didn’t know about this gem. I love the perspective of your photos. Thanks for sharing!

7. lunardaughter February 1, 2014 at 1:22 pm Reply

Oh my goodness – how can we not all know about this wonderful place?!! It looks like a true delight (and what great photos you took!) This is SO going on my bucket list. It’s a slide dunk :-)

8. Linda Watson February 1, 2014 at 3:21 pm Reply

This is fantastic. Definitely a must-see and must-do on my next midwest adventure.